When AweSync is installed for the first time, you will be offered to pass through the configuration wizard to enable synchronization quickly in the step by step manner.
Please follow these steps:
- Select AweSync user interface language. Setting can be changed later if needed.
- Check if you want your calendars to be synchronized, and select the synchronization mode.
- Define your Google credentials. It is recommended to use full email address instead of just a user name. Also, change proxy settings if required to connect to the Internet. If you are using 2-step verification in Google, please read this FAQ.
- Select Google calendars to be synchronized. During trial period we highly recommend creating a separate calendar in Google for your Notes events, so that you’ll be able to remove events sync’ed with Awesync easily, by deleting the corresponding calendar. Select default calendar, which will be used to push events from Lotus Notes, if they’re not explicitly assigned to a specific Google calendar through category name. You can also enable mapping of Lotus Notes alarm notification into Google SMS notification, if the latter is enabled in your Google Calendar settings.
- Check if you want your contacts to be synchronized, and select synchronization mode.
- Please select how you want AweSync to handle your contacts during the first synchronization. If you select “Merge” option, AweSync will consolidate contacts from both data sources, so if you have same contacts on both sides, you will need to clean up duplicates manually then. However, this is the safest option. “Remove and overwrite” options will delete all contacts on one end, and replace them with contacts from another, so please use them accurately to ensure data safety. You can also back up your Lotus Notes address book contacts by making it’s copy, and your Google contacts by exporting them prior to performing initial synchronization.
- Check if you want your tasks to be synchronized, and select synchronization mode.
- Check Google tasks list(s) to be synchronized.
- Define Lotus Notes credentials. Please note that you cannot choose ID file manually, when you’re using single user installation of Lotus Notes under Windows Vista or Windows 7. Please refer to FAQ for details. If authentication with eToken is used, please enable the corresponding option.
- Define your Lotus Notes Mail and Calendar database or if values were detected correctly, leave them as they are.
- Check if you want your Notebook to be synchronized, and select the synchronization mode. During the first synchronization of Notebook between Notes and Google Docs, AweSync will create a new folder in Google Docs named “Lotus Notes Notebook”, to where Notebook entries from Notes will be synchronized as Documents. When synchronizing from Google to Notes, AweSync will synchronize only documents found in the folder “Lotus Notes Notebook”, so if you will be doing one-way sync from Google to Notes and you do not have the folder with this name in Google Docs, you’ll need to create it first and place there the Documents you need to synchronize. Please note that only synchronization of Documents is supported – nor Spreadsheets, neither Presentations will be synchronized. Also, keep in mind that in current release formatting is preserved only when Notebook entries created in iNotes are synchronized to Google Docs one-way only. In all other cases all formatting will be transformed to plain text. For example, if you have a Document in Google Docs folder “Lotus Notes Notebook” with formatting, and then edit it, then upon synchronization to Lotus Notes all formatting will be lost. Or, in another example, if you have your Notebook locally in Lotus Notes client, and synchronize it to Google Docs, it will show without formatting as a plain text in Google Docs. And if you modify it on Google Docs side with two-way synchronization enabled, triggering pushing changes from Google Docs to Lotus Notes, this will also make you loose the formatting upon next synchronization.
- Define your Lotus Notes Notebook database and its location.
- This step is optional if you want to use a trial version, so you can just hit ‘Next’ in this case. ‘Buy Now’ button opens the order section of our website, if you want to buy a license key. If you have already purchased your product license key, you can activate it on this screen. Please enter the key into a Product Key field, and hit ‘Next’, which will perform the activation process against our activation server. The activation is performed with the code, calculated as irreversible hash of your Lotus Notes user name. From licensing perspective this means that activation is tied to your Lotus Notes user name, and hence you can activate as many copies of the software as needed for the same user name. Security-wise this means that your user name is not passed anywhere outside your computer, and only a hash and product key are transmitted and tied together during the activation.
After the configuration wizard steps are complete, you can open advanced settings by clicking the ‘Settings’ button. You can also re-start the configuration wizard at any time by clicking ‘Configuration Wizard’ button in the settings window.